Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Set up rules that perform time-saving tasks, for instance filing certain emails automatically into certain folders.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Rules and Alerts.docx
Rules and Alerts
Rules will automate email chores, such as auto-filing certain emails into folders.
When to use
When you find yourself repetitively moving emails into folders, set up a rule to do the work for you.
Create a rule in your inbox
- On the Home ribbon, click Rules, Create Rule.
- Or right-click an email and click Rules.
Select the conditions for your rule
- There are 2 sections in the dialog box, you must make a choice in both areas.
- If choosing to Move the item, you must click the Select Folder button as shown below.
- Your existing Inbox and folder list appears, make your selection.
Run the Rule
- You will have the option to activate the rule immediately. It is your choice and a good idea to make sure it works:
View all possible Rule options
- On the Home ribbon, or when you right-click an email, click Rules, Manage Rules and Alerts.
- Click New Rule and make your selections.
Mark Email as Junk
- Right-click an Email and click Junk.
Login to download
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.