About this lesson
Adjust picture brightness, color, reset to original, or compress picture file size. Plus swap picture locations with a click of a button.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Pictures - Adjust, Swap
Adjust picture brightness, color, reset to original, or compress picture file size.
When to use
Use the Adjust tools to make basic level changes to a picture without using expensive photo-altering software.
- Begin by opening the corresponding Exercise File with this lesson, or to go File, New and find the “Business Newsletter” called Trader News.
- When a picture is selected, you will see handles around the frame and a Picture Tools ribbon: Notice the ADJUST section of the ribbon tools:
- Picture Corrections will adjust Brightness and Contrast. Brightness makes the picture lighter or darker and Contrast lessens the difference between shadows and highlights, which washes out a picture.
Choose from the options or click “Picture Correction Options” and set the levels manually.
- Picture recolor applies effects such as grayscale, sepia, or washed out. (Many years ago, washed out effects were known as “water marks”.)
- SWAP the selected pictures and they will change locations on the page.
- Now practice using each of the options pictured above on the Adjust tools list.
- “Ctrl + Scroll” to zoom in is faster than pointing to the bottom right zoom controls. Zoom in or out quickly by holding down CTRL and scroll with your mouse wheel.
- To un-do anything, simply press “Ctrl + Z”, or click the un-do button on the Quick Access bar:
- “Ctrl + A” to select all pictures, text, and other elements on a publication.
- Click and Drag a lasso around the pictures to select them all
- “Ctrl Click” each picture to select multiple pics to align simultaneously
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.