About this lesson
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Basic Letter Layout - EXERCISE.docx
29.2 KB Basic Letter Layout - EXERCISE SOLUTION.docx
Basic Letter Layout
Learn the base rules for letter layout
When to use
Anytime you want to type a formal or semi-formal letter.
- Enter the Date at the top of the document
- Press “enter” four times to put a large space between the data and the greeting line.
- Enter the greeting line
- Press “enter” two times before typing the letter.
- Enter the text of the letter.
- Indent each paragraph by ½ inch (by pressing “Tab” on the keyboard)
- Press “enter” at the end of each paragraph, which places a space between the paragraphs.
- Enter the closing line
Press “enter” four times to put a large space between the closing and your signature line.
A faster way is to use the FILE, NEW feature in Microsoft 365 Word
There are hundreds of pre-typed and formatted letters at your disposal.
- Click the File ribbon, choose “New” and then click the “Letters” link.
- Wait just a moment and then sift through all the letters to find the one you would like to use.
- When you find and open the pre-formatted letter, just fill in the fields and adjust the text as you would like.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.