Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
Adding Running Totals to PivotTables.
Where/when to use the technique
When you need to display a running total on your PivotTable.
Accessing Running Totals
- Locate your PivotTable on the worksheet (not the field well)
- Right click a cell in the PivotTable column/row you wish to add a running total to
- Choose Value Field Settings > Show Values As > Running Total In
- Choose Show Values As > Running Total In
Running Totals in columns
- For the Base field, choose the name of a field you put in the rows area of your Pivot
Running Totals on rows
- For the Base field, choose the name of a field you put in the columns area of your Pivot
Hiding error values
- Running totals don’t display a value in subtotals or totals
- Worse, collapsing a subtotal displays a #N/A error for a subtotal
- To hide #N/A errors:
- Right click the Pivot
- Choose PivotTable Options
- Check the box next to “For error values show:” (and leave the field blank)
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.