Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
The Importance of Teamwork
In medium to large businesses, a fully-fledged PR department is responsible for creating and distributing press releases. However, in small businesses, the PR department might not be very large or there might not be one at all. Irrespectively of the size of your PR team, writing a press release should be seen as a team exercise.
When to use
Mark in your business calendar upcoming events and product launches for the year: being aware of press release opportunities will ensure that you have ample time to prepare for each adequately and to arrange team meetings.
A great press release blends thorough product knowledge, an understanding of how the product fits in the bigger picture, a deep awareness of the company’s philosophy and history, and excellent writing skills including conciseness. It would be hard for one individual to possess all of the above. The press release will be a success if each team member contributes meaningfully with his specialist knowledge and experience.
The people who can contribute to the press release content need to sit together and brainstorm about the following aspects:
- Ideas for a catchy title and an informative sub-heading;
- What the press release is going to cover in bullet points, which the appointed writer will then develop;
- The tone in which information should be conveyed;
- Sourcing or asking someone to produce a suitable quote that supports the general message of the press release;
- How your company is going to be presented;
- Whose contact details will be added to the press release to answer enquiries and give further information;
- Appointing at least two members of staff to proofread and edit your press release.
These steps will increase your chances of your press release being approved for further interviews or publishing.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.