About this lesson
The timing of a press release is crucial to its success. Timing will increase both the odds of getting your press release approved for publication and the readership of your press release.
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Timing Press Releases Strategically.docx
201.9 KB Timing Press Releases Strategically - Solution.docx
Timing Press Releases Strategically
The timing of a press release is crucial to its success. Timing will increase both the odds of getting your press release approved for publication and the readership of your press release: news will be read if it is relevant.
When to use
When planning and writing a press release.
Here are 5 factors that you need to consider when it comes to deciding the timing of your press release:
- Publishers’ timing guidelines: be aware of the timing guidelines of the publishers you want to send your press release to. Find out when’s the best time of the week and of the day for submitting a press release. It is your responsibility to time your press release to suit the guidelines of each media channel you want to use.
- Optimizing publication on social media: time the posting of your press release on social media to peak time so that more people are likely to be online. This is where knowing your audience is handy. Is your target audience American? If so, publish your press release at Americans peak times. It will be ineffective to publish your press release based on UK peak times when your target audience is in the US.
- Synchronize with related news: launching new products and publishing company news alongside related news will work to your benefit. Equally, you don’t want to compete with other events, rather you want to increase coverage of your news and event attendance.
- Optimize your sales cycles: make the publication of your press releases coincide with those times during the month and year when your sales dip to increase sales. The point of marketing through press releases is to keep your company’s momentum going.
- The value in waiting: don’t be in a hurry to publish your press release the moment you have finished writing it. Only publish your press release when the timing is right. Don’t rush it.
These factors vary depending on your company’s needs and the nature of your press release.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.