About this lesson
Learn how to create a custom brush to paint in soft fluffy clouds into a scene whenever you what, and with far more control than the automated Photoshop generator offers.
There are no related exercise files for this lesson, or we cannot provide them due to copyright issues.
Learn how to create a custom brush to paint in soft, fluffy clouds into a scene whenever you what, and with far more control than the automated Photoshop generator offers.
When to use
Use this tutorial to customize brushes for various uses. Paint in clouds onto an image, but you can also adjust the setting and make it fog, or billowing smoke, or simply an abstract background
Customizing a brush to generate clouds
- Select the Brush Tool, and then from the tool dropdown select a standard 400px soft brush.
- From the Window dropdown menu, choose Brush
- Brush Tip Section
- Leave everything same except spacing (set to 30%)
- Scattering Section (turn option on)
- Set scatter to 120% (on both axis)
- Control: off
- Count: 10
- Jitter: 100%
- Control: off
- Texturing Section (turn option on)
- From drop down, select the ‘clouds’ pattern
- Set scale to 500%
- Mode set to ‘Color Burn’
- Depth: 100%
- Transfer section (turn option on)
- Opacity Jitter: 100%
To Save this custom brush pre-set
- At the base of the setting panel, choose the ‘create new brush’ button
- Brush will be added to the bottom of the brush pre-set menu
- Don’t use pure white for cloud (off white with slight tint to match setting)
- Add slight inner shadow for some extra depth.
- Play around with brush settings for effect like fog for example.
Login to download
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.