About this lesson
Learn about creating Excel tables, and their advantages.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Creating Excel tables, and their benefits.
When to use
Excel tables are the standard and best way to organize tabular data in Excel today.
Benefits of creating Excel tables
- Instant access to alternate row shading
- Auto-expansion when new rows or columns are added
- Auto-complete of identical formulas down the entire column
- Access to structured table reference formula creation
- Automatic application of filters
- Automatic naming of the table
Preparing your data to turn it into an Excel table
- Make certain that your data is in tabular format
- It is essential that there be no blank rows or columns interrupting the data
- Provide a clear header row for your data
Creating Excel tables
- Select any cell in the data range
- Go to the Home tab, choose Format as table, and pick your favorite color scheme
- You may want to then go to the Table Tools > Design tab, and rename the table to something more descriptive than Table1
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.